Say thank you in the most special way possible by creating your own DIY thank you card! Even if you aren’t an artist, graphic designer, or self-appointed “creative,” we promise—you can make a heartwarming card for colleagues, customers, and loved ones in 10 minutes or less.
Here’s how to do it (and why you might want to).
Why Give a DIY Thank You Card?
When there are racks and racks of cards in stores all around, you may be wondering: Why bother making a DIY card? Why not grab something off the shelf and call it a day?
You could—and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with a store-bought card. But, at the same time, there’s nothing quite as special as something you made yourself. Even the simplest “thank you” message takes on a whole new meaning when it’s a creation from your own hands and heart!
Plus, DIY cards are the perfect opportunity to learn something new at any age.
Digital vs. Print Thank You Cards
Classic thank you cards sent by snail mail? Sure, that’s always an option. But, there’s also a quicker, more convenient, and more affordable way: Digital thank you cards.
No matter who you’re thanking, digital cards have a ton of benefits:
- You won’t need to go to a store to buy your card.
- You can create a much more personalized message, even using your own photos.
- You can send a card by email for a one-on-one “thank you,” or you can share it on social media to shout your gratitude to the world. Then again . . . why not both?
- You can design something quick by starting with a pre-made thank you card template. (Once it’s customized, no one will even know you had a helping hand.)
- You don’t need to pay for postage or make a last-minute run to the post office to buy more stamps.
How to Get Started on Your DIY Thank You Card
It couldn’t be easier to make your DIY thank you card. In fact, here’s exactly how easy it is:
- Browse Shutterstock’s library of thank you card templates.
- Click on your favorite to customize it.
That’s it! In just two steps, you’ll have a beautiful card template open in Shutterstock Create and ready to customize as much or as little as you want.
4 Tips to Choose the Perfect Card Template
Create is stocked with plenty of thank you card templates, so there’s really something for everyone.
Here are a few questions to ask yourself to help you find the best thank you card template for you.
1. Who Will Be Receiving the Card?
A thank you card that’s going to a supervisor at work will probably look much different than a card going to your BFF.
Think about the tone you want to strike—friendly, zany, professional, serious—and then find a template that matches.
2. How Are You Sending the Card?
If you’re planning to send your card in the mail, choose a template that’s postcard-sized.
If you’ll be sending it by email, any size works!
3. Do You Have Your Own Assets to Add?
Planning to upload your own photos on your thank you card? Then you can really choose any template—with or without a placeholder photo.
If you don’t have your own photo to add, though, you might want to pick a template that features graphics, shapes, or other details rather than photos.
4. Are You Sending the Card to Customers?
Thank you cards aren’t just for your personal network! Customers appreciate being appreciated, too, and sending a quick thank you card can build positive brand associations and customer loyalty.
In that case, check out a business-oriented thank you card template.
How to Customize Your Thank You Card Template
So, you’ve found the perfect template and are ready to make it your own. (And, if you haven’t yet, start by browsing our thank you card templates and clicking Customize on your favorite.)
Next, follow these simple steps. . . .
1. Customize the Text
With your DIY thank you card template open in the Create tool, you make any and all edits to the text:
- Click into the placeholder text to replace it with your own.
- Add a new text box and type new text.
- Experiment with different fonts, colors, and sizes.
- Add a shadow, outline, image fill, or texture to your lettering.
By the way, if you love the design we’re using here, you can try out the thank you card template for yourself.
2. Customize the Imagery
Now it’s time to spice up the images!
Upload your own photos by clicking Images > Upload, or choose from millions of stock assets by clicking Images > Stock Photos and searching by keyword. You can also insert free graphics, patterns, shapes, and frames.
If you’re using photos on your card, try these tools for a really unique and professional look:
Get even more tips in our complete guide to image editing in Create.
3. Try Some Effects
Add even more polish to your thank you card with fancy effects like Drawing, Pro Effects, or Textures. You can even Animate your card—perfect for a scroll-stopping post on social media!
To view all the edits available for a particular design element, select it on your canvas and then check out the top toolbar.
4. Prep for Print (Optional)
If you’re planning to print your thank you card and want to avoid white margins, then you’ll need to turn on a setting called “bleed.” (If you aren’t printing, skip this step.)
Here’s how to add bleed to your thank you card:
- Click the gear icon in the lower-left.
- Toggle on Show bleed marks.
- Expand all background images, shapes, and colors to completely fill the newly enlarged canvas area.
5. Export Your File
Click Download and choose your preferred file type. If you’ve just prepped your file for print, be sure to choose the PDF option. Otherwise, it’s your choice.
Ready to Say Thanks in 10 Minutes or Less?
Now you know how to share your gratitude with all the folks in your life. When it takes less than 10 minutes to create your own DIY card, you can easily spread joy to everyone you know.
Plus, science says that gratitude is good for you!
Start with a thank you card template and get to designing.