Shutterstock is the first to provide financial protections against legal liabilities, ensuring Enterprise customers can confidently license AI images for commercial projects.
Interested in using AI images for your projects, but concerned about their use and legality? Thanks to our indemnification for AI-generated images, Enterprise customers can feel at ease while creating on the Shutterstock platform. With full indemnity offerings, we are proud to ensure AI-generated images are protected, unique, and ready for commercial use. These protections go hand-in-hand with Shutterstock’s leadership in developing ethical and responsible AI that’s safe for commercial work and compensates our contributors.
Shutterstock’s indemnification offerings are a continuation of how we have led the way in bringing transformative AI-generated images to diverse commercial applications. As our customers’ go-to creative partner and stock content resource, AI generated images are another offering for Enterprise customers to use while they create with confidence.
Our groundbreaking indemnity protection debuted in May 2023. Since then, we have continued developing generative AI solutions for commercial projects. Shutterstock led the market first, offering this assurance to a global technology customer using an image generated on the Shutterstock platform for their worldwide virtual developer conference in May 2023. Shortly after the company indemnified images for a leading cable network’s upcoming television series. Now, we’re expanding this offering to all Enterprise customers to use on demand.
Whether you’re a CPG brand, in the healthcare industry, a financial services giant, creative agency, or film producer, the visuals you generate with Shutterstock’s AI image generator can be used in your commercial projects, worry free, just like the traditional stock images you license on our platform. This offering is seamlessly integrated into the Shutterstock Enterprise creative workflow, which your team already uses and trusts.
Let’s further explore Shutterstock’s indemnification offering and how they keep customers safe.
License these images via Shutterstock.AI.
What basics should creators know about legally using AI generated images?
Here are some quick definitions answers to important questions surrounding AI generated images and commercial use.
- What is AI generated content? Text-to-image generative AI creates models that learn from pre-existing content, such as photos, illustrations, and designs. These models ultimately create new, never-before-seen content on demand. This new technology is expected to disrupt the creative landscape, and many people will use it for work. You can learn the basics of generative AI and how it works here.
- What is indemnification? Shutterstock offers indemnity for AI generated images, meaning that we provide legal and financial protection to our customers’ licensed images. Customers can now enjoy the same protections on AI-generated images that they already enjoy on our contributor-created images.
- Can I use AI generated images commercially? Shutterstock’s AI image generator is ready to use right now, and users have the ability to gain full legal protections! Its images can be used for any project, in any industry.
Are AI images safe to use for commercial purposes?
Shutterstock’s AI image generator is ready to use right now, with full protections! Its images can be used for any project, in any industry.
Whether you’re a graphic designer who needs inspiration for a new campaign, or a project manager looking to find efficiencies, generative AI can help. Download our free ebook How to Use Generative AI for Commercial Work: A Practical Guide for Creatives and Marketers. In this guide, you’ll learn how to start using AI in your own commercial work.
Why are AI image protections important?
Nobody wants to get sued and nobody wants to steal from artists! It’s important to use AI image generators that are built ethically and offer protections, not only for moral reasons, but also for your own safety.
- Intellectual property concerns can arise. When data isn’t sourced ethically, and indemnity isn’t offered, copyright and ownership disputes crop up. You’ve probably seen many lawsuits surrounding this subject in the national news. Indemnification financially and legally protects those who purchase AI generated images. Shutterstock’s licenses do just that.
- Indemnity lets you leave liability issues behind. With indemnification, brands and customers are free from concerns surrounding copyright, trademark infringement, right of publicity issues, defamation, and other legal challenges that may arise in the use of AI images.
- Exclusively use your best AI generated content. If you’ve crafted a custom asset using our generative AI tool, you can purchase an exclusive license upgrade. This means the unique images you’ve created can remain solely yours, indefinitely. That way, you don’t have to worry about anyone generating any content quite like your own.
- Creative industries are changing. AI is expected to change nearly every creative industry. We see this directly in the creative fields, as artists embrace generative AI as a new tool to use. Protections offered by indemnification can further foster confidence in the arts. It can encourage artists, designers, and clients to incorporate generative AI into their own projects, without fear of unforeseen legal consequences.
License these images via Shutterstock.AI.
How is Shutterstock leading the way on making AI images safe for commercial work?
Shutterstock is the first to bring indemnification solutions to users of our AI image generator. This works similarly to licensing standard stock images. In fact, our AI generated content is currently licensable like all other products on Shutterstock plans.
If you’re interested in indemnity for your images, its process looks like this:
- Shutterstock customers can add a review process to their AI generated image purchase.
- Experts who are trained in copyright and sensitive image use manually review your content in 1-2 working days.
- Upon a successful review, your AI-generated images will receive the same protections that our standard licenses offer.
- In addition, Shutterstock customers can get exclusivity of their custom images, in perpetuity. This means that masterpiece you generated will remain only yours, indefinitely.
This process has already been seamlessly integrated into the familiar Shutterstock platform that your team already trusts. As a result, licensing AI-generated images is effortless, empowering your team to confidently incorporate these images into their commercial projects, free from worry.
We are also excited to unveil our integration with the Content Authenticity initiative. Our new Content Credentials panel makes content provenance transparent. This protects artists’ intellectual property and clearly represents an image’s original source, even for AI generated images.
License these images via Shutterstock.AI.
Why can you trust Shutterstock’s generative AI?
Our AI is ethically sound and has been built that way from the very beginning. Shutterstock compensates artists whose works our generative AI models are trained on. In fact, we’ve already issued payments to these creators through our Contributor Fund.
Ethical, trustworthy, and human-centric AI is our priority. We’ve partnered with OpenAI to train the world’s best models on legally licensed, high-quality data from our own content library. Within our technical execution of building AI products, we’ve followed ethical frameworks, like UNESCO’s “The Recommendation of Ethics of Artificial Intelligence.”
Beyond technical execution, ethics are critical to our internal teams. Shutterstock’s engineers, data scientists, and leadership are diverse and inclusive, being composed of people from various backgrounds, educational experiences, and genders. This very intentional composition of our AI team ensures that our systems are as representational as possible, while mitigating biases.
Putting ethics at the forefront of our AI solutions, offering indemnification to our customers, and implementing Content Authentication are a few reasons why Shutterstock is paving the path for responsible AI. Learn more about using AI generated content for your projects, with full indemnity protections, at the link below.
Take your brand’s imagery to a whole new level:
License this cover image via kkssr.