Tamron has announced the development of the 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VC VXD G2 for Sony E-mount, the successor to Tamron’s original 70-180mm F2.8 zoom lens.
The G2 lens includes a couple of notable features compared to the original: a new optical formula and Tamron’s vibration compensation mechanism for in-lens image stabilization. Additionally, the lens features Tamron’s VXD linear motor for fast autofocus and has a close focusing distance of 30cm (11.8″) at 70mm and 85cm (33.5″) at 180mm.
Weighing in at 855g (30.2 oz), the new lens is slightly heavier than the original, which was only 815g, and a little longer as well, measuring 156.5mm (6.2″) versus the original’s 149mm length. It uses 67mm filters, similar to many other Tamron lenses for mirrorless cameras.
The G2 will support Tamron’s Lens Utility and Lens Utility Mobile apps, which allow users to customize lens functions.
Tamron says the lens will arrive in the fall of 2023. Pricing information was not announced.
TAMRON announces development of second-generation 70-180mm F2.8 zoom with Vibration Compensation and TAMRON Lens Utility™ compatibility
Class-leading compact and lightweight telephoto zoom for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless
August 8, 2023, Commack, New York – Tamron announces the development of the 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VC VXD G2 (Model A065), a fast-aperture telephoto zoom lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras. The lens is expected to be available in the Fall 2023.
The 70-180mm F2.8 G2 marks the further evolution of the first-generation model that earned high acclaim in the marketplace and incorporates several enhancements. Leading the list of improvements of the new G2 lens is the incorporation of TAMRON’s proprietary VC (Vibration Compensation) mechanism. The lens maintains the maneuverability of class-leading compact size and weight (1) while enabling shooting with greater stability.
The optical design has been revamped from the first-generation 70-180mm F2.8 and achieves uncompromising high image quality across the entire zoom range. TAMRON also shortened the MOD (Minimum Object Distance) at the wide end to 0.3m (11.8in) compared to the first-generation 0.85m (33.5in), enabling users to enjoy unique photographic expressions distinctive to the lens. Additionally, the new 70-180mm F2.8 G2 zoom features TAMRON’s renowned VXD (Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive) linear motor focus mechanism enabling high-speed, high-precision auto-focusing that performs well whether shooting stills or video. The new 70-180mm F2.8 G2 zoom also supports the dedicated TAMRON Lens Utility™ and TAMRON Lens Utility Mobile™ apps that were developed in-house by TAMRON. The software can be used to customize functions based on various shooting styles for still photography and video. The new lens design improves operability and provides scratch resistance. This single lens combines profound maneuverability and practicality that is worthy of the second-generation G2 badge and will deliver shooting experiences that make a fast-aperture telephoto zoom lens even more enjoyable.
- Even with VC image stabilization, the lens is just 6.2” (156.5mm) long and weighs only 30.2 o.z (855g)
- Revamped optical design delivers truly superb performance at all focal lengths
- VXD provides high-speed and high-precision AF with vastly improved subject tracking
- Equipped with TAMRON’s proprietary VC mechanism
- Achieves MOD of 11.8” (0.3m) at 70mm and 33.5” (0.85m) at 180mm
- Proprietary software tool TAMRON Lens Utility for lens function customization
- Additional features for greater convenience
- User-friendly features (Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating)
- Compatible with many camera-specific features and functions, including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF
- Ø67mm filter size, same as most other TAMRON lenses for mirrorless cameras
(1) Among full-frame compatible fast-aperture F2.8 telephoto zoom lenses equipped with Vibration Compensation. (As of July 2023 — TAMRON)